What are our Objectives?
- To promote balanced and healthy lifestyles for all ages.
- To promote responsible use of chemicals and ethical breeding of animals for food production.
- To promote permaculture principles and organic food gardens in homes, institutions and micro enterprises.
- In the developed world we have become fixated on technology, speed and personal gain. This is often at the expense of creativity, indigenous culture and a balanced life. The result is often illness, depression or alienation.
- Our food is laced with chemicals, colorants and pesticides all of which cumulatively are detrimental to health.
- Our diets are poor, processed and fast.
- Lack of exercise, overweight and high sugar intake are contributing to a rapid increase in lifestyle diseases, such as diabetes and cancer,
- We tolerate unhealthy and inhumane practices in agriculture and food production.
How do we address this?
- We promote responsible use of chemicals in agriculture;
- Support a moratorium on GMO’s in the absence of a paper trail.
- Advocate labeling as GMO FREE only and improved labeling generally.
- Advocate reduced use of toxic chemicals on lawns, plants, fruit and veggies.
- Monitor implementation of health laws.
- Dr Ruth Rabinowitz introduced a private members bill on banning of TRANSFATS in South Africa.
- We teach healthy diets and lifestyles
- Teach organic gardening and permaculture principles.
- Teach holistically, providing a conceptual understanding of the world so that people can make informed choices and live sustainably.
- Empower parents to play a role in their children’s education.
- Help foster culture, creativity and spiritual enrichment through nature.
- Promote awareness of wireless technology’s dangers to health.
- Expose unhealthy practices within the food industry.
3. LOCAL SOLUTIONS
- We partner with communities to install food gardens.
- Workshops on “Use of medicinal herbs”; books by Adele Nel
- Workshops on experiential learning handbook; “Learning for Living” Ruth Rabinowitz.
- Workshop on thinking skills; “Making your Mind up” by Cathy Plewman.
- Workshops and demonstrations on Permaculture and organic vegetable gardening.
- Workshops on healthy lifestyles.
- Books, on line material and webinars on all of these.
4. SUCCESS STORIES
- Job Creation Project in Alex; Be LEAF in Alex
- Sustainable Living Education Project at Dr Knak School.
- Workshops with teachers in Western Cape and WITS students.
- Booklets and books
- On line data in form of articles, laws, answers to MP questions, Blog, webinars.
- Lectures for organized groups.
- Demonstration of products and solutions for community groups, schools and businesses.